Thursday, January 8, 2009


This past week Casey and I got to spend a day in Salt Lake at the Body Worlds exhibit. I was really nervous about going and seeing these real bodies that belonged to someone at one time. This is a real human being!! But I went anyway. And I still have mixed feelings about it. It wasn't at all what I had expected. When we first walked in there were body parts. Like a heart, a leg, and lungs, and so forth. That part was very interesting. It showed a lot, like what a broken bone looks like as opposed to one that hasn't been broken. Or what a cancerous lung looks like, and a healthy one. But then you get into the full bodies. And that is where I am torn. They had some that were good. Full bodies in an active pose that showed how the muscles contract, and what you look like in those different poses. Then they had "the others", that I found disturbing. A person standing there balancing his insides on his palm, or her brain sitting on top of her head. It just didnt seem like they respected that person the way I felt they should. I am glad that I went, but it is hard to imagine what that person thinks of their body being displayed like that. I would be upset.

No comments: